If it seems like everybody wants the newest device or trendy workout, here’s a reminder to try a classic exercise device that delivers on all fronts: the rowing machine.
- They’re easy to find and easy to use, providing both cardio and strength training for anyone, including people over 50, 60 and 70. You get muscle work, bone-health benefits, and probably a good sweat while raising your heartrate and increasing oxygen intake.
- You can adjust most rowers to fit your own fitness level and the intensity you want. Listen to your favorite podcast for a more relaxing pace or go harder with your own motivating soundtrack.
- They give a low-impact, full-body workout, with extra emphasis on the quads, biceps and – surprisingly – the core.
- The full-body effort really amps up the number of calories burned, making this a great way to lower your body fat percentage (while building lean muscle).
- You can row at a steady pace or using high-intensity interval training (HIIT).
- And you can row for a brief warmup or as the centerpiece of your workout.
Take a moment to learn proper form. Rowing is simple, but you want to be sure you’re doing it right. You can watch a YouTube video or ask one of our staff members for a quick lesson.
There’s a reason why some “classics” never go out of style. We know you know about that!